The Hex Tank

Completed (finally) in September, 1996

The original Hex Tank was a major disapointment...

It leaked, had ugly seams, and no light. I thought about it for 6 months or so before trying again...

Hex Tank II

This tank is much better. It looks better, has better seams, and has a light! In case you were wondering, the tank is encased in an oak endtable that I found at a flea market. The table originally had open sides with a glass top (which I retained for the aquarium) and one glass shelf that fit inside the frame. It was finished with an ugly fake antique worm-wood look that I stripped off immediately. I don't understand why anyone would make a table out of solid oak and then hide that beautiful wood with a dark stain with black specks all over it.

In the picture (above left) the tank is sitting on my kitchen counter undergoing its obligatory leak test. It's sitting over the edge because of the light tube which extends a couple inches below the bottom of the tank. In the other picture (above right) the light and tube can be seen at the front of the tank. It's an 8 watt flourescent fixture with an aquarium spectrum bulb and it lights this aquarium wonderfully!

The tank is made from two pieces of acrylic. One hexagonal piece for the base and one long piece bent five times and with one vertical seam to form the sides. The sides of the tank stick up 1/4" above the top of the wood frame and the underside of the lid has been grooved so that it fits securely in place. The underside of the lid has also been waterproofed to keep condensation and water splash from the airstone bubbles from ruining the wood.

The light tube is a 3" acrylic pipe that not only holds the light but also is a conduit for the airhose and heater cord to exit through the base of the table. The light and electrical cord is simply dropped down the tube (the light fixture has a leg which holds it the proper distance from the floor). The electrical cord and air hose exit through the base of the table via a hole cut in the side of the base at the rear. The air pump fits under the base, making this aquarium a neat and tidy package.

Since taking these pictures I've added the original handles to the front of the frame. It looks like it ought to open on hinges on the front but it doesn't. Maybe I'll try to retrofit some hinges some day.

In the picture (above right) my trusty pair of fantail goldfish are doing their usual duty of cycling the biological filter.

The finished tank holds about 13 gallons. The six wood pillars obscure quite of bit of the tank and I think it looks better with fewer, but larger fish (like the goldfish). I do wish the table had a taller base as the aquarium would definately be more attractive if it were not so close to the floor. Ah, well - we work with what we've got...

Back to AquariaMain.